Mitigation Opportunities on the Preserves
The Ojai Valley Land Conservancy is a primary source of mitigation opportunities for local developers, county, state and federal agencies. Development fees assesed for mitigation of natural habitat which is eliminated during construction are commonly put into restoration projects on OVLC preserves. We’re currently processing agreements for $1.1 million in mitigation projects with Caltrans, and continue to seek mitigation projects which will benefit the health and well being of OVLC preserves and their wildlife occupants.
Currently there are approximately 120 acres identified as high priority areas for restoration projects on our two largest preserves. For agencies needing more acerage there is much more land on these and four other preserves, which could benefit from native habitat restoration projects.
The Ojai Meadows Preserve
Fifty-seven acres currently available for habitat restoration as mitigation.
- 3 acres of Vernal Pool habitat (creation of new pools and enhancement of existing pools)
- 5 acres of riparian/wetland habitat (creation and enhancement)
- 5 acres of freshwater marsh habitat (creation and enhancement)
- 4 acres of wet meadow habitat (creation and enhancement)
- 18 acres of coast live oak woodland habitat and upland buffer vegetation communities (creation)
- 20 acres of valley oak savanna and native grassland (mostly creation, some enhancement)
- 2 acres of coastal sage scrub habitat (creation)
The Ventura River Preserve
Sixty-four and a half acres currently available for habitat restoration as mitigation:
- 45.5 acres of native oak woodland, oak savannah and alluvial scrub plant communities (creation and enhancement)
- 0.57 miles of natural creek flow and riparian habitat (enhancement and some creation)
- 18.5 acres of riparian and associated upland buffer vegetation communities (enhancement and creation)
Our costs per acre vary depending on habitat type and quantity of acres with costs per acre decreasing with quantity. Feel free to contact Conservation Director Brian Stark with any questions. Phone 805 649-6852 ext. 3 or email firstname.lastname@example.org